What are contigo autoseal west loop vacuum-insulated stainless steel travel mug features?
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Autoseal technology is leak- and spill-proof
- Drinks stay hot up to 5 hours or cold up to 12 with thermalock vacuum insulation
- One-handed drinking with the push of a button
- Easy-clean lid opens completely for thorough cleaning and locks for added peace of mind
- Fits in most car cup holders and under most single-serve brewers
Looking for specific info?
Is this a no-spill mug? Meaning, can i toss it into a bag where it can roll around?
Contigo notes that the mug should be hand washed to protect the finish. Is the plain stainless finish ok to clean in the dishwasher?
Just bought these and soaked tops in warm water, coffee still tastes like plastic/rubber will this go away?
Does this mug fit under a keurig?
Is the inside of the mug itself stainless steel, or is it plastic surrounded by stainless steel?
Are these dishwasher safe?
I see its dishwasher safe but does the water from the dishwasher get inside the mug walls? As with other coffee cups i’ve found it does
Jas anyone had any issues with cleaning the lid? Is the lid easy to clean?
Does this really hold 16 oz if it is 10.4 inches tall? Other 16 oz contigo cups are a couple of inches shorter.
I see in the videos that the lid is dishwasher safe. But is the base (the mug itself) dishwasher safe also?
– contigo travel mug lids and any unpainted stainless steel bodies are top-rack dishwasher safe for a quick, easy clean. Painted stainless steel bodies are hand wash only. Visit our official website for more care and use information.
My hands are weak and painful. Will i be able to push the buttons?
Does it fit in a car cup holder
Can the bottom portion be placed in the dishwasher as well, or will it cause liquid to fill up the insulation section?
Will the top of this mug accommodate a regular paper straw? Thanks everyone.
Does this fit in car cup holders?
Is the whole mug (top and bottom) dishwasher safe?
Is the inside plastic lined?
Is the lid bpa free?
Having read recently about the dangers of all plastics, is the lid on this mug plastic or silicone?
Where are these made? Usa?
What are our customers saying?
Recommending this mug is easy. When compared to my previous favorite mugs, an oxo stainless steel double walled travel mug with the push button and a couple of different sized aladdin plastic insulated mugs (two different models that they no longer make) with the flip lids, this style contigo mug outperforms them in almost every way.
1. Size – it is a great size. It easily fits under my older keurig. If i pour from the office pot, i’m certain this holds 2-3 typical ceramic coffee cups worth of coffee (this seems obvious, but i’ve had other ’16 oz.’ travel mugs that definitely didn’t hold as much liquid). It fits snugly but completely into my 2015 ford fusion’s cup holders. While the oxo is about the same height, it holds less coffee because its lid is very large. The aladdins hold about the same volume as the contigo. I have one model, with a matte plastic finish, that refuses to fit under the keurig, even though it was listed as the same dimensions as a slightly different one, with a glossy plastic finish, that fits.
2. Insulation – easily the best travel mug i have owned in this regard. I don’t have any 12+ hour rated mugs or thermoses, but i have had my share of <$20 mugs that could not maintain temperature for even an hour. With this, i have often poured a mug at 8 am and have still been drinking warm (not hot) coffee at 11 or noon. Neither the oxo nor the aladdins come close, and the aladdins would be cold by 90 minutes if not sooner. Also, the outside of this mug does not get hot – i can feel it get warm when i fill it with especially hot liquids, but it has never gotten hot. The aladdins have definitely gotten hot even through the 'insulated' plastic. The oxo does not get hot.
3. Cleaning – i have two autoseal mugs, one unpainted and one matte. The unpainted mug and its lid go in the dishwasher, or rinse easily under a tap. The new design top, with the flip open seal for cleaning, allows for good access to the nooks if you have a brush and allows the dishwasher to thoroughly clean the inside. The matte finish doesn’t go in the dishwasher, but i think it could. I have had other glossy painted items peel in the dishwasher, but most matte items seem to hold up better. Oxo didn’t recommend any parts for the dishwasher, and the original lid was impossible to clean. They later redesigned the lid with a screw-off seal, but who wants to bother with that or potentially lose it. The aladdins were completely dishwasher safe, but i found that they retained food particles around the flip top hinge or between the flip top and the lid body. Out of the way too many travel mugs i have owned, only the unpainted contigo and the aladdins have been both completely dishwasher safe and been effectively cleaned by the dishwasher.
4. Stability – not usually something i would discuss, but i find this mug to be amazingly stable. I have only tipped this mug once, and have not had it wobble when setting it down or bumping it. No idea why it is so. The aladdins seem more tall and skinny, and with their slightly rounded bottoms they were wobbly. The oxo was down right top-heavy and easy to tip over.
6. Lid – um, obviously, the contigo autoseals – it is in the name. But it is the only mug i have ever owned that both reseals itself and has a super easy mechanism. Neither the oxo nor the aladdins autoseal and both require you to manipulate something on top of the lid which is especially difficult to do one handed. Especially when driving, the contigo is so much better in this regard.
1. Lid – yes, both a pro and a con. The lid is very unforgiving if you aren’t careful. It is difficult to get it on ‘just right’ the first time, so it can be difficult to get it to grab the threads and start to close. Also, the last half turn or so is very tight and can really make me struggle to get it completely closed. As i’m sure the last half turn is where the seal becomes most effective i find myself being extra careful when tightening and frequently check and recheck to be sure it has gone on the whole way. This said, i have never had it leak in ways that others have mentioned, and i can always get the lid completely closed. The one time the lid has leaked liquid was around the button to open the seal, and that was because i had not carefully drained the lid after a cleaning. Not sure why, but it had retained some water that came out when i pushed the button. The oxo and the aladdins are significantly easier to close, though i have had the aladdins leak when liquid was up to the threads or when i hadn’t completely dried the threads.
2. Seal/lid – the one truly quirky thing about this mug is it can literally shoot a few drops of coffee a foot or more if i’m not careful. It doesn’t happen every time, but occasionally if i close the seal while the cup is still at my lips and tipped, when i take it away from my mouth liquid will spray. I have learned to seal the lid after un-tipping the mug and just after i pull it away. In reality, the only reason this is even an issue is because you can let it seal while it is tipped and at your mouth. Most other mugs must be level and away from your face before you can seal them.
3. First sips – a good problem to have is that this mug does such a good job of insulating that i usually have to let it sit for a few minutes before i drink or i will burn my mouth. Just about every other mug i have owned cools the coffee as you poor it and it makes contact the mug’s walls. This one just doesn’t seem to do that, at all.
I haven’t dropped the mug, and have only tipped it once, so i can’t comment on the durability (or lack thereof) that some other reviewers have complained about. So far, after about three months of daily use, the two mugs are holding up very well.
In all, this is the best travel mug i have ever owned. Since purchasing these two contigos, i don’t even use regular ceramic mugs anymore – these are so easy to use and clean i don’t see a reason to risk the spills and drips. I never thought i would write so much to describe a simple coffee mug, but this mug is just about perfect and i have recommended it to all my coffee addicted friends.
The previous design of this travel mug was literally the most perfect mug design ever, and did not spill, not even if i threw it straight into my work bag full of papers. It was comfortable to drink from, easy to clean, and kept my drink hot for hours. I loved it so much that i bought it 3 times! My dad uses the one i gave him all the time including in his mail truck and has never had it spill once.
This new design might be just as spill proof but we’ll never know because i refuse to buy it with the new lid design. I don’t want the lid bumping into my nose while i drink. The previous rounded design was extremely comfortable to hold. The new more angular design is not.
I might even partially forgive them the transgression of the lid design fiasco (who am i kidding – no i won’t – it’s a complete travesty) if they had at least left the handle attached to the lid as one piece. The decision to change the handle was the final straw and i will never buy another contigo travel mug unless by some miracle i come across another of the old design at a garage sale but i find that unlikely because the people who have that previous design are unlikely to get rid of that perfection until it’s so old and battered as to be no longer usable just as i fully intend to hang onto mine until it breaks which with any luck won’t be for a very long time.
I received my cup/mug nearly a week ago. I order a 16 oz, purple (light plum). I am familiar with the brand so i love it and does what it advertised. Now i told you i ordered a 16 oz cup/mug. When i received the item is was 20 oz. Instead of canceling my order i was sent the next available size. Thank you, i truly appreciate it. I know that some people would complain, but i need the surprise. It made me smile. I use it every day for both hot and cold drinks. 🙂
I like having a leak proof, spill proof cup to drink from. I can carry it in my tote bag or inside my back pack and when the lid is locked, it doesn’t leak. I usually only have water, but sometimes tea (hot and iced).
I have other contigo autoseal west loop cups in different sizes. I keep one next to my bed to drink from during the night, i carry one with me when going for walks, or bicycle riding, and going shopping.
Cold drinks during hot weather and hot drinks during cold weather.
If you want, you can have steamers, lattes, cappuccinos, hot chocolate or cocoa, however, after finishing the drinks with milk, it’s best to rinse the cup when empty, especially the lid. When milk sours, it’s harder to clean the lid. I use a dish cleaning brush.
The lid is dishwasher safe. It is recommended that the cup be hand washed. Although it’s stainless steel, the paint will eventually start to peel from the constant heat and detergent in the dishwasher. Yep, i learned that from personal experience. It doesn’t hurt the cup, but it doesn’t look as nice.
This cup is replacing one i lost. I have the 16, 20 and 24 oz. Cups and use them all.
I’m a coffee snob, so i take my brew in this to work everyday. Using it for years and have worn the finish off, so i just ordered a second one. Will still use the old one for yard work. I had to get a new top a few years ago and had no issues with customer service.
It was time to retire my old stainless coffee tumbler after it’s taken a couple of falls off the roof of my car where i set it while i load in my backpack and lunch into the back seat. My daughter told me to try this one and so far i really like it. It’s going to take some getting use to pulling a trigger to take a sip but at least somewhat sealed when the trigger is not pulled. I say somewhat because to fully seal it you need to lock the vent tab. The opening where you actually sip from is pretty direct pour into your mouth and i have to admit that i wasn’t used to it at first and took a rather hot surprise on my lips the first time. Throughout the first cup on the first day i got used to it. One hot surprise will teach you really quick.
Coffee stayed hot for the two hours i spent sipping it. The lid is pretty complicated looking on the bottom side so it’s not easy to get the soap scrub wand down into the crevices but keeping my coffee hot and spill proof takes precedence over easy to clean.
I bought the 16oz tumbler and it fits perfectly under our k-cup machine without having to remove the overfill tray. The base is a little larger than a soda can and it’s a tight fit into my vehicle cup holder but it does go to the bottom and the fact that it’s tight keeps it pretty snug and i know it won’t topple with a full load of coffee when i take a tight turn or brake suddenly. Nice product
These may be a little pricey for a water bottle (unless you catch a sale), but so very worth every penny. (think of all the money you save not buying bottled water, and save the planet from all that plastic!) i’ve had one for four years and use it all day long every day (i drink a lot of water). So far, it does not leak, keeps my water very cold for hours and hours, and it’s very easy to clean. I highly recommend getting one, you won’t be sorry.
Contigo autoseal west loop 16oz dark plum, nice weight to the tumbler, easy open & close. The button to open seal is awesome leak proof, super easy to clean, keeps ice all day, still after i get home from work, and keeps coffee hawt for hours, i got mine in the plum for16$ awesome, fits like a glove in my nissan cup holder center console or door, i highly recommend. Easy to drink from no spilling or dripping very clean. 5 stars for sure 2 weeks in.
I’ve been using these for years. They keep your coffee hot for hours and they’re leakproof. They also don’t cost as much as some of the other travel mugs on the market and the are leakproof. They also fit in your car’s cup holder. 5 stars
After a minor spill of maybe a tablespoon of tea on my laptop keyboard resulted in a pricy repair that took over a month to complete (‘part on back order’), i knew i needed a beverage container that only works when you actually hold the dispensing lever in place. I had a thermos for my fitness class that only dispensed when the button was depressed, but the button then stayed depressed till you toggled it back off again. That was fine for my class but not foolproof enough for my desk. The contigo turned out to be exactly what i needed. I was afraid the liquid would just trickle out but it pours just fine. The fact that it’s a moderately good thermos was a bonus – keeps my drinks cold or hot so no more trips to the fridge or microwave. It also has a total lock position that i suppose is good if you have a child who might play with it or if it might change position in your luggage. I recommend testing before use by turning it upside down to make sure you have the top correctly positioned. (also, it makes an unappealing substitute for a wineglass.)
Earlier this past fall, i needed a way to be able to keep up with my twins who are now almost four. I decided to try coffee and purchased a keurig, along with some necessary coffee accessories, including a travel mug. There are many choices available but i really wanted a purple one (my favorite color) and this one looked like a good one so i purchased the violet color in the 20 ounce size since that is the only size available for this particular color.
This contigo travel mug is made so you can use both hot and cold beverages in it. It advertises that it will keep your hot beverages hot for up to seven hours and cold beverages cold for up to 18 hours. The mug itself is made of stainless steel and the top is plastic. It is made in china. The lid is dishwasher-safe and the body is hand wash only. This mug cannot be microwaved. The mug comes equipped with autoseal, which means you have to press the button in order to drink your beverage. There is a lock on the top of the mug and when that’s engaged, the autoseal button won’t work at all, in case you want to ensure that the mug won’t spill its contents. The 20-ounce mug holds 20 ounces of liquid easily and you won’t want to add any more so the top will seal properly and no liquid will spill out. With the lid on, the mug measures 9 1/4 inches tall and without it on, it measures 8 inches tall.
I’ve had this mug for almost five months now and i like it. I like the beautiful violet color and it hasn’t peeled off at all but i do have some scratches on it. I’m not rough on my possessions but it’s only a few scratches that aren’t really noticeable unless i really look closely at it. I can easily hold the mug in my small hands and it also fits well in my car’s cupholders. Once the mug is unlocked, i can press the autoseal button and drink from it with one hand. Then you release the button so the lid closes and, as long as it’s properly closed, it shouldn’t spill any liquid. I’ve turned mine upside-down to test it out and never had any liquid spill. When i hold the mug, i can’t feel either hot or cold on the outside.
Upon receiving this mug, i was disappointed to discover that it isn’t compatible with my keurig k55 single serve programmable k-cup pod coffee maker, black because i can’t fit it under the brewer even with the drip tray removed. In order to use this mug, i have to brew my coffee into a mug and then pour it in this mug. It isn’t optimal but it works. The mug without the top measures 8 inches tall and the space where you place your mug in the keurig measures just under 7 1/2 inches so this one won’t fit. I can’t speak for the 16 ounce mug and it’s possible that one might fit.
I also don’t feel this mug keeps beverages hot and cold for as long as it advertises. The reason i say this is because i’ve brewed 16 ounces of coffee at 8:30 am, added some creamer, and by 11:00 am, the small amount of coffee left is cold. The creamer i use is cold but i use only a couple ounces and wouldn’t think it would make that much of a difference in a vacuum-sealed container but maybe it does. I also put water in it, added lots of ice cubes and had it sit on the counter for about four hours. When i opened it, most of the ice had melted and the water was cool but not cold. To be fair to this mug, beverages never last that long for me since i tend to drink water very quickly and coffee doesn’t last very long at all either, so if you also tend to drink your beverages quickly, that factor might not matter that much to you.
I feel this mug is easy to clean. You’ll want to hand wash the body in mild, soapy warm water and the lid is top-rack dishwasher safe. Always allow the parts to dry separately so water doesn’t get trapped. If you choose to purchase this mug, there is a sheet of tips which i’d suggest reading prior to using this mug. I won’t mention all of them but one helpful tip is that if you fill this with hot liquid, allow the liquid to cool down with the lid off for at least three minutes before putting the top on. Even when i’ve done this, i press the autoseal button and the coffee with creamer added is still hot and hurts my lips. I’m not sure if this is normal with coffee mugs but i try to carefully drink with this mug.
Overall, i like this mug and have used it several times but i’m disappointed it doesn’t fit with my keurig. I’m still able to use it though and it only requires me washing another dish which is okay. I love the color and the autoseal feature is a good one to ensure you don’t spill hot coffee in your lap on your way to work. I don’t feel the mug keeps beverages hot and cold for as long as it advertises and that factor may not bother some prospective customers. Since the biggest factor for me is that i prefer to use this with my keurig, i opted to purchase thermos stainless king 16-ounce travel tumbler, midnight blue which i now use more often and it works with my keurig. If you have no size restrictions and tend to drink your beverages quickly, i’d say this mug is still a good option. However, if you want to use it with a single-cup brewer like the keurig, i’d look more into the size to see if it will fit. I personally prefer the thermos travel mug better but the contigo mug is a little less expensive which may be a factor for some as well. I still use the contigo mug occasionally but once it doesn’t work anymore, i wouldn’t purchase another of these again but those are because of my preferences with travel mugs.
Contigo is a great premium cup and i like this style cup best, because they are leakproof. Even if you don’t lock them, they are virtually unspillable. This one followed suit but….
The design change looks better, but isn’t as easy to drink from. It is shorter and wider but the width increase where you must hold the cup to press the button for a sip, makes it less comfortable to hold.
There was also a small dent but i decided to ignore it. On me.
If you have normal sized woman’s hands think twice.
It’s definitely leak proof but if you use it for coffee like me it is very hard to clean the hidden parts.
Great product but had to dock a star because i am barely able to wash the inside with a sponge. I am petite and my hand gets squeezed where it tapers in.
It is a pretty good mug but with some improvements it could be a great mug. What needs to be fixed: 1- diameter of the mug, specially at the bottom is too wide for some car cup holders. Won’t fit a 2006 bmw 330i, in a 2008 toyota rav4 you need to remove the cup holder rubber liner, otherwise the liner will get ‘attached’ to the mug.
2- the base is too slick. In a lot of surfaces the mug will sort of slide. Other mugs have some sort of plastic/rubber base that stops the sliding.
The spill proof top works pretty good, but beware that there may be a few drops in the safety mechanism that will spill. Not a lot but not 100% spill proof.
You need to get accustomed how to drink from it, i kept burning my upper lip until i learned to cover the pour hole with your upper lip over it.
I love it! The top is the big seller with this coffee mug. It is designed not to spill a drop. There is a button you have to press and hold to release the liquid to drink. Even has a lock button, so you could throw this in a bag and never worry about spillage. It keeps your coffee hot to the last drop. You just got to get used to pressing the button to drink.
Have many contigo. This style is tougher to drink from since the hole the coffee comes out has a few drops left when closed. Caused spills
I love the mug. It is leak proof as promised and i am sure has saved me a lot of frustration. What i do not like is i have only had it a couple of months, and have only put it in the dishwasher once or twice, and the finish is chipping off. That is a disappointment.
Overall i am pleased with this mug – the plum color is very pretty (looks just like photo) and the size is great (fits well in my car cup holders) and fits well in the hand without feeling overly hot to the touch. I love how easy it is to clean (came with instructions) and that it kept my coffee hot for hours! It truly is spill proof! While it is easy to deploy the seal that opens the sipping hole by squeezing the button, the coffee remains so hot for the first bit that it burns the mouth because the hole is tiny and direct rather than more surface area to cool your sip down a bit with a ledge. There is a lock toggle on the top that keeps you from accidentally squeezing the sip hole trigger which is a nice feature. Overall, this is a great hot beverage mug and i am very pleased with it! As a side note, this mug was not well packaged when sent to me. It was placed directly into a paper mailer bag (no padding) and as a result arrived with a large dent in it where something must have fallen on it. The return/exchange process was super easy and they immediately replaced it with a new one. The second one was also shipped to me in an un-padded paper sack, but arrived unharmed.